The Law Office of Justin Sobodash opened in January 2010 and is now Law Office of Justin Sobodash, P.C. We are aggressively and efficiently representing clients in a variety of matters and have successfully resolved several others. We are proud of our results and of the outstanding clients we have served and continue to serve.
Past and present clients include:
- MGA Entertainment, Inc.
- Dustin Lance Black
- Thor Halvorssen-Mendoza
- Uncommongoods, LLC
- Haute House, Inc.
- Rita Rusic
- Select Clothing Company, Inc.
- Savvy Marketers, Inc.
- SCAN Health Plan
- Founders Fund
- Kit Pistol
- Angeles Mexican Food
- Richard Sutphen
Current and Recent Litigation and Pre-Litigation Matters
- Represent prominent human rights activist and journalist in defamation claim against Venezuelan company and its affiliate and principals.
- Obtained dismissal of case alleging conversion of Basquiat painting on summary judgment.
- Prosecuted art law complaint alleging fraud.
- Represent employees alleged to have misappropriated trade secrets in starting new, competing company. Counterclaimed for employees alleging discrimination and obtained favorable settlement.
- Favorably settled age discrimination matter in favor of defendant employer.
- Represented commercial production company, obtained entire unpaid balance through pre-litigation correspondence.
- Obtained early dismissal of copyright infringement complaint filed against artist Wale.
- Defend apparel company against copyright claim alleging infringement of pattern.
- Consult with reality television personality and apparel designer and manufacturer regarding intellectual property matters.
- Act as local counsel for various out-of-state firms.
Resolved Litigation and Pre-Litigation Matters
- Gonzalez v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005) – Drafted amicus brief for United States Supreme Court case in support of medical marijuana and federalism on behalf of Reason Foundation, a free-market, limited government think tank
- Obtained favorable settlement in Clarke v. Pick Up Stix, Inc. (Los Angeles Superior Court Case No. BC432195) – Co-counsel for plaintiff class members claiming fast casual Chinese food chain mislabeled food as “vegetarian.”
- Doreen Flynn, et al. v. Eric Holder (United States District Court, Central District of California Case No. 2:09-cv-07772) – Local counsel for Institute for Justice in as-applied challenge to National Organ Transplant Act (http://ij.org/component/content/article/40-other/2899-bone-marrow-backgrounder).
- Obtained complete disputed claim on eve of arbitration hearing in favor of would-be purchaser of $7M property.
- Cleared intellectual property issues for short film later accepted to Cannes Film Festival.
- Successfully settled claim of assault brought by ‘paparazzi’ client.
- Successfully obtained settlement for robotic parts manufacturer in breach of contract claim.
- Successfully settled case representing defendants in case alleging breach of contract, fraud, and intentional interference concerning commercial lease.
- Obtained six-figure settlement of previously denied insurance claims for skilled nursing facility through pre-litigation correspondence.
- Obtained insurance coverage for entertainment company from insurer which had wrongly denied claim based on ‘intentional acts’ exclusion.
- Obtained favorable settlement in legal malpractice case for plaintiff.
- Obtained return of invested funds from early stage company by demand correspondence.
- Obtained favorable settlement of litigated matter concerning breach of lease of laser for defendant medical corporation.
- Obtained favorable settlement of litigated matter representing former employee in commissions dispute.
- Obtained favorable settlement prior to litigation on behalf of design partnership against manufacturer, which wrongly claimed credit for design concept
- Successfully settled case for defendants and cross-complainants in case involving allegations of assault, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress
- Favorably settled several contract actions brought against medical practice.
- Obtained favorable settlement prior to litigation for graphic artist against grocery store chain, which infringed copyrighted design placed on grocery bag.
- Represented company falsely accused of hacking and industrial espionage in pre-litigation discussions. Matter never litigated and no settlement was paid.
Intellectual Property Matters
- Act as outside general counsel to startup using blockchain technology to solve financial industry issues.
- SCAN Health Plan – Monitored online use of client trademarks and copyrights, issued cease and desist letters, and successfully terminated infringing uses.
- Prosecuted trademark applications before United States Patent and Trademark Office for several restaurants and small businesses, including Big Wangs and Ka-Noodle.
- Reviewed books prior to publication for copyright, right of publicity, defamation, and other issues.
- Performed intellectual property due diligence for venture capital firm contemplating purchasing shares in social networking website.